Volunteer with us
Do you want to be part of something great in your community and make new friends while learning more about West Bay? We are looking for people keen to join us. Whether you are volunteering to keep busy, learn new skills or to meet new people West Bay Discovery Centre is a great place to be.
Our friendly team consists of a Discovery Centre Manager and a group of dedicated volunteers. Our volunteers are at the heart of the Centre. They engage with visitors and guide them in their exploration of the Discovery Centre and through it West Bay.
Volunteers are crucial to the Centre’s success. We actively encourage volunteers to explore the varied opportunities we have at West Bay Discovery Centre. We listen and share their ideas on how the Centre can develop as an excellent and popular attraction.
- When? We will talk to you about what you can offer, and the kind of roles we have available that may suit you.
- How long for? It depends upon the activity role you have chosen – the shifts for our stewards are two and a half hours per session. We have at least two people on duty at any time.
- Who for? Anyone! Our volunteers have varied interests and volunteering is open to all. All new volunteers receive an induction and support as they need it to help them feel comfortable in the role.
There are so many ways to be involved, apart from being a steward other volunteer opportunities include:
Education and Outreach
One of our objectives is to encourage visits from children, schools and other community groups.
- Can you help us with planning and setting up child friendly events and workshops and looking after our younger visitors?
West Bay Discovery Centre has lots to offer but we need constant and effective marketing.
- Do you have ideas for promotion?
- Can you help with preparing and producing posters and leaflets?
- Can you spread the word by putting up posters for events and promoting us online?
Our changing exhibitions are extremely popular attracting many visitors.
- Are you fascinated in discovering new information about West Bay to share with our visitors?
- Would you like to research various aspects of the history of West Bay?
- Do you have a flair for displaying artifacts?
- Do you have painting or drawing skills?
Wildlife and the Environment
We would like to increase what we do about the natural world.
- Do you have an interest in the nature and the environment that you would like to pass on?
- Could you help maintain our website ?
- Help with more complex IT matters ?
How we are looking after your safety
We are working in line with Government guidelines to keep all of our volunteers and visitors safe whilst on site. We have increased cleaning, introduced one-way systems and limited capacities inside. Volunteers and visitors must wear a face covering whilst indoors and sanitise their hands. Visitors are asked to check-in to the Test and Trace scheme using the NHS QR code and sanitise their hands before entering the building.
Get in touch
Your involvement as a volunteer at the Centre will not only be valuable and interesting but an opportunity to work alongside like-minded people and make new friends. Volunteering can also boost your wellbeing. If you share our passion of West Bay and can spare a few hours each week or less frequently, please get in touch by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You are also very welcome to come in and talk to us and find out more.
Thank you, we look forward to hearing from you!