Our friendly team consists of a Discovery Centre Manager and a group of dedicated volunteers. Our volunteers are at the heart of the Centre. They engage with visitors and guide them in their exploration of the Discovery Centre and through it West Bay.
Volunteering is a great way to develop skills and give back to the community. Whether you’re volunteering to keep busy, learn new skills or to meet new people West Bay Discovery Centre is a great place to be.
Volunteers make a huge contribution to West Bay Discovery Centre. Give some of your time and you can gain so much in return:
- Develop transferable skills towards your own career development at any age!
- Work with friendly and supportive people
- Experience at West Bay Discovery Centre makes a great addition to any CV
Volunteers are crucial to the Centre’s sucess. We actively encourage volunteers to explore the varied opportunities we have at West Bay Discovery Centre. We listen and share their ideas on how the Centre can develop as an excellent and popular attraction.
- When? When you can! We will talk to you about what you can offer, and the kind of roles we have avaliable that may suit you.
- How long for? It depends upon the activity role you have choosen – the shifts for our stewards are two and a half hours per session.
- Who for? Anyone! Our volunteers have varied interests and volunterring is open to all.
There are so many ways to be involved, volunteer opportunities include:
Our Stewards provide a warm and friendly welcome and ensure visitors have an enjoyable visit. There are always at least two people working in the Centre at one time. The role also includes taking money from sales, but we have made the system as simple as possible and full training is given.
- Do you like meeting different people everyday?
- Do you like helping people?
- Would you like to learn more about where you live and share this with visitors ?
- Would you be interested in running some of our guided walks?
Education and Outreach
One of our objectives is to encourage visits from children, schools and other community groups.
- Can you help us with planning and setting up child friendly events and workshops and looking after our younger visitors?
West Bay Discovery Centre has lots to offer but we need constant and effective marketing.
- Do you have ideas for promotion?
- Can you help with preparing and producing posters and leaflets?
- Can you spread the word by putting up posters for events and promoting us on line?
Our changing exhibitions are very popular attracting many visitors.
- Are you fascinated in discovering new information about West Bay to share with our visitors?
- Would you like to research various aspects of the history of West Bay?
- Do you have a flair for displaying artifacts?
- Do you have painting or drawing skills?
Wildlife and the Environment
We would like to increase what we do about the natural world.
- Do you have an interest in the nature and the environment that you would like to pass on?
Effective administration is essential for the Centre to run smoothly.
- Can you help with maintaining our volunteer register?
- Do you have computer skills?
Your involvement as a volunteer at the Centre will not only be valuable and interesting but an opportunity to work alongside like-minded people and make new friends. It can also enhance opportunities for employment by developing new skills (we’ll support you in this). If you share our passion of West Bay and can spare a few hours each week or less frequently, please get in touch by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, we look forward to hearing from you!