You can find West Bay Discovery Centre adjacent to the Bridport Arms Car Park on East Beach.
Tripadvisor: West Bay Discovery Centre
Winter Opening Hours wef 2nd November 2019
November Saturday & Sunday only 11:00-16:00
December 26th – 31st December 11:00-16:00
[except Friday 27th][28th 1.30-4pm]
February half term 15th – 23rd February 11:00-16:00
March Saturday and Sundays 11:00-16:00
Summer opening 2020 (24th March 2020- End of October)
Open 6 days a week Tuesday – Sunday 11:00 -16:00
Closed on Mondays apart from on Bank Holidays
Planning your Visit
If you are coming by car take the A35 towards Bridport.
- From Dorchester heading west towards Bridport at 1st roundabout take the 1st exit and at 2nd roundabout take the 2nd exit into West Bay.
- From Axminster heading east towards Bridport at the first roundabout take the 4th exit into West Bay.
Car Parks West Bay
There are various car parks in West Bay. The Discovery Centre is located next to the Bridport Arms Car park, however all car parks in West Bay are within a five minute walk from the Centre and various charges apply, see here.
We are a two-minute walk from the West Bay bus stop turn left and you will see us facing you across the harbour, we are in the former Chapel left of the Bridport Arms public house.
First Group run two main routes serving Bridport and West Bay. The X51 runs between Dorchester South and Axminster train stations, serving Bridport town centre. The X53 runs between Weymouth and Axminster train station, along the stunning B3157 Coast Road, serving both Bridport and West Bay.
Please check websites prior to visiting for up to date travel information here.
Coach trips to West Bay
Customers on coach trips to West Bay will usually be dropped off in the main West Bay Car park follow the signs to the Harbour, at the Cornish Bake House turn left and walk along the raised bank. The Discovery Centre is at the end of this path next door to the Bridport Arms public house.
Bridport is on Route 2 of the National Cycle Network see visit the Sustrans website .A cycleway exists to West Bay part off-road along the old Maiden Newton- Bridport- West Bay railway line, further work is planned on the cycleway in 2019.
The nearest train stations to Bridport and West Bay are as follows:
- Maiden Newton (12 miles) – services between Gloucester and Weymouth (including Bristol Temple Meads)
- Crewkerne (12 miles) – services between London Waterloo and Exeter St Davids
- Axminster (13 miles) – services between London Waterloo at Exeter St Davids
- Dorchester West (15 miles) – services between Gloucester and Weymouth (including Bristol Temple Meads)
- Dorchester South (15 miles) – services between London Waterloo and Weymouth
Bridport (West Bay) harbour is 15 miles west of Dorchester at the western end of Chesil Beach. For further information see here.