There are plenty of fun activities for children and the whole family to enjoy in West Bay, look at our suggestions and come and discover new things to do!
In rain or shine there is plenty for children to enjoy at West Bay Discovery Centre. We may look small but we are packed with things to do! Our simple aim is to allow you to make the most of your visit to West Bay. Come in and see what we have here.
2) Pick up one of our free Children’s trails and discover what West Bay was like for children 150 years ago.
3) Explore the Wild Side of West Bay, pick up one of our free leaflets . We even have compass, maps and binoculars for sale to help you discover more.
4) Play pirates at West Bay children’s playground . This award-winning playground is made of ropes that reflect Bridport ‘s heritage as a rope making town and is designed for ages from 0 to 99.
5) Go crabbing – please pick up one of our free “Careful crabbing” guides. The crabs in West Bay love eating your bacon but would like to be treated well by you too!
6) On the beach there are lots of opportunities for fun! Build a sandcastle, skim a stone, jump over waves, create sculptures and pictures on the beach, swim in the sea. Please take notice of safety notices regarding swimming and don’t sit right under the cliffs! Our beaches are lovely, we want them to stay that way, so follow Litter Free Dorset’s message “Take only memories and leave only footprints in the sand.”
7) Have an ice-cream, we have been told that there are 30 different places to buy ice-cream in West Bay, with a choice so vast you are sure to find your favourite flavour. Just watch out for the sea-gulls they like an ice-cream too!
8) Climb a cliff the South West Coast Path takes in both East and West Cliff, which were made famous in the popular TV Series Broadchurch. Follow the footpath up either cliff and enjoy the amazing scenery from the top. Children will need close supervision and dogs should be kept on leads. If you are interested in making this a circular walk we can provide you with further details.
9) Go fishing with charter fishing boat trips or go angling off the beach or Jurassic Pier. Visit West Bay Angling centre for more detailed information. You may be lucky enough to catch our local fishermen unloading the fish and shellfish they have caught in Lyme Bay
If you are staying in the area and want to explore further along the coast pick up one of the tourist leaflets or ask one of the volunteers for suggestions. They are always willing to help you.
West Bay Discovery also has additional activities for children running during the school holidays. Please look at our What’s on page on this website , or our Facebook or Instagram for the latest information.